5D mk2 to 7D

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin5 Regular Member • Posts: 309
5D mk2 to 7D

Hello all. I only got into photography a couple of months ago and bought my first and only DSLR, the 5D mk2. I'm considering selling it and buying a 7D for a couple of reasons. Just wondering if you think it's a good move or not.

One reason is that I want a camera that's better suited for moving targets, mostly birds and cars.

I've taken an interest in shooting small birds in my garden. I can't seem to get sharp photos or defined detail with my 300mm when shooting small birds from over 20 feet away.

With a 7D being a crop sensor and a crop factor of x1.6 on my 300mm lens giving me the equivalent of a 480mm focal length,  is it as good as buying a 400mm to 500mm lens and will the crop factor get me better detail and sharpness when taking photos of small birds from over 20 feet, than my 300mm on the 5D mk2?

Will the 19 focal points and faster shutter fps also help me get better focus on the bird's continual movements and anything in general that moves such as panning cars in motion?

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony a6600 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +1 more
Canon EOS 7D Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow