P950 vs. the Canon T7i --shooing "flutterbies"

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,417
P950 vs. the Canon T7i --shooing "flutterbies"

We have a butterfly bush in our garden and lots of butterflies go there during this time of year, so I thought I would see how the P950 compares to my Canon T7i with the 18-55mm stock lens. I use the T7i for family events since it gives me great people pics.

I  shot these within 3 feet away. I adjusted the P950 to macro shooting close up spot focus. The T7i I left on normal autofocus. Both at ISO 100. Both had focusing issues if I got to close.

While the pics look comparable, the P950 has warmer color, but the T7i is more accurate. They both have apparently similar sharpness, though I did do the same post sharpness on both, but the detail if you blow up the image is better on the T7i. That said, though, the apparent sharpness is about the same. I've talked about this before on another thread. The P950 does outline sharpening, and it gives the apparent look of more detail, but if you go into pixel peep mode, you will see that the bigger sensors  (aka T7i) actually have more detail. However, because the SLRs need more lens-power, the superzooms win out when trying to get the long shots! I have found that people like the warmer color of the P950, though.

Of course, since I held the cameras about the same distance away from the butterfly, you should to ask yourself why a 55mm lens (probably more like an 80mm lens considering the size of the sensor) compares to a "400mm" zoom and produces the same size image??? Well the P950 actually takes the pic at 71mm--what?. Yup. It's an illusion, but a good one.

P950-400mm Warm colors, good sharpness, but the flower should be more purple. Doesn't stand up to pixel peeping, though.

T7i-55mm. Colors are dead on. Plus image can be pixel peeped without seeing pixels.

Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow