Bracketing shots [- 0 +] Range

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RafaelD7
RafaelD7 Senior Member • Posts: 2,094
Re: Bracketing shots [- 0 +] Range

On my D850, I use 3 shots, at -2, 0, and +2. With the great dynamic range of the camera, its low noise at high ISO, and the availability of very good noise reducing programs (Topaz Denoise AI for example), I can push or pull the 0 EV shot by 1.5 or 2 EV and use local adjustments as needed. So, the -2 and +2 EV shots are just for letting me reach beyond -2 and +2 to about -3.5 and +3.5 EV, if needed. In situations where the scene's dynamic range is not huge, I often end up using just the 0 EV shot. I would not bother with smaller increments for this reason. YMMV.

If the scene has small, very bright areas, I may dial a -1 EV compensation, so my brackets become -3, -1, +1. The reverse applies when I want to lean more towards brightening the shots, so a +1 EV compensation gives me a bracket of -1, +1, and +3.

The attached photo is the middle frame of a -3, -1, +1 bracket. I did not have to use the other two shots to get the highlights and shadows to look good (to my taste).

-- hide signature --
 RafaelD7's gear list:RafaelD7's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow