Any hope for an extender?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Tony D Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Any hope for an extender?

I doubt they will make one as it would lower the optical quality - it protrudes in order to contain the required number of element to maintain optical performance. And the RF 70-200mm design as it stands is shorter than the original EF design so limits the ability to make it work with the RF 70-200, no space to make the space to allow for the extender protrusion, probably too many design constraints to make it work.

Also the EF 1.4/2.0 extender did not work with certain lenses, if I remember correctly the 70-200mm L was one it work with. No longer have mine to check.

Other manufactures could make one without this protruding design at the cost of optical quality (less element or less well balanced elements). Without the exact lens design details it is difficult to predict if it can be done, it may not be possible with the RF lens distance/mount size. These are all generated by reverse engineering the Canon lens/extenders to generate a design, so always likely be optically inferior.

Tony D's gear list:Tony D's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow