Non-tracked astro challenge

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob in Baltimore
Bob in Baltimore Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
Re: Non-tracked astro challenge

Thanx. It helps that the D850 is a very low noise camera, and it helps that the sky is really really dark at Mauna Kea, even at a mere 9,200 feet.

I wish that I had spent more time on Orion, but my primary target was M31. it did not turn out as well. I spent a lot of time trying to get M31 in the FOV. I could easily see it with binoculars and I had a green laser, but it as not attached to the camera. It was a four hand operation to find M31 in the binoculars, hod the near the camera in approximate alignment, look thru the view finder and aim the camera, and lock it down. 6 hands would have been better! I finally got it with the aid of a guy from Belgium who was standing nearby and offered to help. Anyhow, I lost too much camera time finding it and did not have enough for M31.

My time would have been netter spent on Orion. It was easy to find!

I had planned to go back and gather some more photons this year, but the COVID virus impacted my travel plans. Even if I had been willing to take the risk, a 14-day quarantine upon arrival was more than I could cope with!

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow