Shooting RAW: sRGB and Adobe RGB

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,453
Shooting RAW: sRGB and Adobe RGB

So I know that the Adobe RGB color space has a wider gaumet than sRGB, and that when previewing RAW files taken with Adobe RGB they can sometimes appear more flat and less vibrant than those taken with sRGB (Obviously I know that a RAW file doesn't add any additional data such as vibrance or saturation, like an out of camera JPEG might depending on the camera's settings).

It's often been suggested to work in the widest color space and then decrease as you go or need to (ie. converting from Adobe or ProPhoto RGB to sRGB when I'm exporting for web use/computer viewing).

But my question is if I shoot my RAWs in Adobe RGB will I be capturing more color data and thus have more color data available in post to work with? I know a lot of printers can also print using images that are in the sRGB color space as well. Basically I'm wanting to maintain and capture as much color (And accurate color) as possible out of the camera, and then deal with color spaces later in post (ie. converting to sRGB for web).

Thoughts?

(I know there's probably some big technical details behind this but I'm just looking really for if it's advisable to use Adobe RGB to retain the most/accurate colors.  i used to use Adobe RGB on my previous cameras but at some point, switched to sRGB but this had me thinking about switching back...  Most of my images are for web/online, but occasionally I will print some images so color retention is also important I guess for that.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 GoPro Hero7 Black GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow