Would you want more MP or less?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Would you want more MP or less?

Question to those who have been accustomed to the high megapixel sensors in the last few generations of cameras, would you consider getting a lower megapixel camera now in 2020?

I currently own and use a Canon 5D Mark IV, and before the pandemic started I was in the market for a new camera. I knew Canon had some new interesting cameras in the horizon (1DX Mark III, R5, R6, M6 Mark II) and have patiently been considering which one to get.

I love the robust build quality of the 1D series, the unparalleled performance of an OVF for fast moving wildlife and action, but I can’t get over the 20 megapixels, especially after having 30mp.

The R5 seems like the obvious winner, however I worry that battery life might be an issue in extreme cold temperatures, as with the EVF.

I have a Pro-10 printer and do make big-ish prints regularly, I understand 20mp is sufficient for this size but then the issue of cropping comes up. I try to get my composition right by cropping with the lens, but sometimes that’s not always realistic.

To re-cap, any photographers out there been dissatisfied with less mp after being spoiled with so much?

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS-1D Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow