Scanning medium and large format negatives - film holder?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Vegar Beider Regular Member • Posts: 424
Usa a mirror to get alignment

Hello NextSibling!

When you say:

" - get all the planes in good enough alignment (takes a little trial and error, but quite doable). "

I found that the easiest way to get alignment will be to place a mirror flat onto the light panel, with the mirror's reflective surface facing the lens. When looking through the camera's viewfinder and adjusting the camera so that I am looking straight into the center of the mirrored lens, the camera's sensor and the film will be aligned. (Keeping the camera steady (on a tripod), is a must.)

To hold the film/negative flat I place it between two abolutely clean and scratch free glass plates. To avoid getting possible scratches and dust on the light panel's surface in focus, I raise the film a little bit above the surface of the light panel. Enough to get "outside" the depth of field area. When I also avoid getting any light at all on the "lens side" of the film, there will be no reflections on the glass plates. The macro lens I am using has no white lettering around the filter thread thay might be reflected.

Regards

Vegar Beider's gear list:Vegar Beider's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow