Removing noise

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Removing noise

I find Topaz to work well in many situations but there are occasions where it crushes the shadows and smears details there. The new low-light mode does a better job preserving shadow detail though it does add a faint combing artifact (obvious if you tweak clarity/texture in the output TIFF afterwards). In tricky situations you could try denoising multiple layers using the 3 different methods (Denoise, Low-Light AI Clear) in photoshop and masking them out respectively.

DxO Photolab PRIME is great at at removing chroma noise which Lightroom and Topaz struggle with. It does yield some inconsistent results and sometimes adds dark halo artifacts. I generally let it remove chroma noise only and then continue the file on Topaz. The disadvantage is I can't do initial edits (such as chromatic aberration reduction) in Lightroom since PRIME relies on the RAW file.

As for Lightroom, chroma noise is least obvious using the Adobe rather than Camera presets which introduce some streaked "amp noise" at high ISO. The Adobe presets are flatter and tend to keep brighter shadows, but don't do a good job preserving colours in red areas of an image.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow