Can I use an light meter to get monitor brightness?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MrBrightSide
MrBrightSide Contributing Member • Posts: 868
Re: There You Have It again

I believe the disconnect may be the difference between Macs and PCs.

On some PCs you can set the brightness to specific numbers like 120 cd/m2. So the advice to set the screen to a particular number makes sense if it’s one PC user talking to another.

On all the Macs I’ve used there is only a slider so there’s no way to know where your cd/m2 is sitting.

pixelgenius wrote:

SmilerGrogan wrote:

But using a Light meter for the task of calibration and profiling a display? Not necessary, not possible.

The OP was only asking about the light output of his monitor, not calibration...

The topic and question: ”Can I use an light meter to get monitor brightness?”

The display needs a profile reflecting calibration for previews in color managed applications. That includes it's cd/m2 which isn't brightness, the gamut (measured RGB primaries), the TRC and the White Point. When done, the cd/m2, which isn't brightness IS measured as set. And more importantly, part of the profile that controls the preview of the image.

…which points to a much greater problem; it would seem that any notion of color management is gradually disappearing from the discussion.

The problem is ignoring color management and how applications produce previews that use color management. The problem is ignoring the fact calibration of a display both provide the cd/m2 desired, measures what the OP seeks and controls what and how he sees the image.

It’s the result of a rather arrogant form of photographic nihilism that has taken root in some of the forums.

Rather, the result of ignoring the facts of how displays produce previews in color managed applications while allowing the target of cd/m2 which is not brightness.

-- hide signature --

Sit!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow