Sony AR7iii AR7iv and Minolta 600mm f4 autofocus?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RussAdams Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Re: Sony AR7iii AR7iv and Minolta 600mm f4 autofocus?

SafariBob wrote:

if i were you, i would replace it with a 200-600. I see now that b&h has one for 2300 (600 f4) but typically these have gone for about 4K, which I totally don’t think it’s worth.

yes you lose a stop and a 1/3rd of light, but you make that back with oss and no slt, to some degree.

the laea4 isn’t that bad, but it’s not hyper accurate, and I felt it was a pretty decent upgrade to switch to the laea3 on the Sony 70-400.

fwiw, you could probably swap it for a 600 f4 canon is if you were a bit thrifty, which would be a whole lot better on the r series and also takes tc’s well with mc11

Thanks SafariBob!

You've given me a lot to chew on here. I had no idea the 200-600 fe was so reasonably priced. With in lens anti shake it should really help with sharp captures...

But a zoom vs prime? Tough call for me. I would love to be able to handhold tho... which I can't do with the heft of the Minolta.

Everything's a trade off. Sigh.

Have you compared 600 prime sharpness to 200-600?

RussAdams's gear list:RussAdams's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow