Where in the U.S. to live, as a photo/videographer?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Ex Barista
Ex Barista Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Where in the U.S. to live, as a photo/videographer?

icor1031 wrote:

Ex Barista wrote:

Another suggestion might be a town like Asheville NC population about 95K. Probably punches above its weight as far as photographic revenue is concerned.

Art-centric town in western NC mountains, lots of affluent residents and tourists. Highly photographic town and area to keep the photography juice flowing. Lots of stores displaying art for sale.

Do you think this applies to videography, too?

I’ve not up to date with the commercial side of photography but I believe that living in that area could make a good living and have fun doing it.  I’m thinking specifically of finding a niche for yourself that maybe few others are doing in that area.  I know that there are a ton of vacation style weddings there, and Biltmore and other tourist attractions advertise heavily.  High end massage, yoga, and other personal services. Companies may not know that they need video from Asheville for instance.

I’m beginning to sound like a ad for the area but I didn’t mean for this to sound rah rah.

Anyway I was in IT sales for 30 years before I started serving coffee so I approach problem solving from a sales/marketing perspective, with next to no commercial photo experience.  Remember that while you ponder any of my suggestions.

Frank O

Ex Barista's gear list:Ex Barista's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow