How long before you buy an R5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,193
Re: How long before you buy an R5?

souvikdgp wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

As strictly an amateur doing this as a hobby...waiting...to determine...

1. Can the R5 take the extreme Texas heat like in an all day airshow shoot where the ambient temperature is 95+. Not really a definitive answer yet. Seems like a yes it can but there have been just enough reports of shutting down after shooting only stills that I'm not sure yet.
  2. Can I sell my 5D4 for enough to make the improvements worth the price difference. For a lot of situations like low light, indoors without tripod and flash, etc. it seems like it would be well worth the difference. For other I'll just have to try one for a day or two once there are some to test.
  3. Is there enough benefit to replacing my 100-400M2 with the RF 100-500. Once they arrive and there is one to test for a day or two I'll try it.

The biggest gotcha in all this is by the time the RF 100-500 arrives it will probably be late enough in the year that ambient temperatures will be way below 95 so I can't do that test until next summer.

There's not a single review, report or anything that claims R5 shuts down for stills. Yes it does for certain video resolutions. And it shuts down without letting you shoot video for a minute if you have been shooting stills for long. But never for still only, even of you're burst shooting for long time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the easiest one to find.

Thanks for the link. I somehow missed that. But if that's the case then it's really scary. I don't plan to buy R5, but I am on the waiting list of R6. Would you mind sharing any more info if you have?

I just found this  article from PetaPixel about a Canon delay on shipments on R5/R6s for overheating issues.  It was dated July 30th.  A few days after that both Canon USA and Canon Australia denied there was any delay in shipment.  I have not found any other posts from Canon related to this so far.  Reading more and especially the link to Canon Rumors makes it sound like this was an interpretation of what Canon Rumors had said and it was unfortunate they used the word recall without official word from Canon.  It's hard to know exactly what the truth is at this point in time.  Seems that there is much more misinformation/speculation than accurate information at this time.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow