How long before you buy an R5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
Re: How long before you buy an R5?

souvikdgp wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

souvikdgp wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

As strictly an amateur doing this as a hobby...waiting...to determine...

1. Can the R5 take the extreme Texas heat like in an all day airshow shoot where the ambient temperature is 95+. Not really a definitive answer yet. Seems like a yes it can but there have been just enough reports of shutting down after shooting only stills that I'm not sure yet.
  2. Can I sell my 5D4 for enough to make the improvements worth the price difference. For a lot of situations like low light, indoors without tripod and flash, etc. it seems like it would be well worth the difference. For other I'll just have to try one for a day or two once there are some to test.
  3. Is there enough benefit to replacing my 100-400M2 with the RF 100-500. Once they arrive and there is one to test for a day or two I'll try it.

The biggest gotcha in all this is by the time the RF 100-500 arrives it will probably be late enough in the year that ambient temperatures will be way below 95 so I can't do that test until next summer.

There's not a single review, report or anything that claims R5 shuts down for stills. Yes it does for certain video resolutions. And it shuts down without letting you shoot video for a minute if you have been shooting stills for long. But never for still only, even of you're burst shooting for long time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the easiest one to find.

Thanks for the link. I somehow missed that. But if that's the case then it's really scary. I don't plan to buy R5, but I am on the waiting list of R6. Would you mind sharing any more info if you have?

Sure...I'm still trying to find the other post.  I don't think it was in dpreview so I'm having a hard time finding it.  The first post was clear it was about 85 degrees but I"m not sure if the 2nd post was as clear other than it was really hot.  Our local camera store has said they would let me borrow one for the weekend as soon as they fulfill all the outstanding orders.  I suspect by the time that happens the average ambient temp will be back in the mid 80s and not in the mid 90s.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the R5 does in low light...3 years ago I spent 2 weeks in Italy with friends and shot a lot of church/duomo/building interiors with no tripod or flash using two 7D2s.  I swapped one for a 5D4 due to better low light performance and it looks like the R5 is quite a bit better than the 5D4.  Couple that with the RF 24-70 IS and I should rarely need a tripod or flash inside.  I don't do much video but periodically shot panorama stills and videos in some of the really neat places.  It would be a real bummer to not be able to even shoot short 4KHQ or 8K videos after shooting stills for hours on end.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow