Imaging Resources Panasonic Interview: Sounds Like The LX100 II Will Be The Last Of The Line

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Imaging Resources Panasonic Interview: Sounds Like The LX100 II Will Be The Last Of The Line

Not a confirmation by any stretch, but the bits about the LX100 in this interview make it sound like they’re not going to develop it further:

“[T]his category is affected by the smartphone's expansion. But still, there are people who continue to use this model. But we have to admit that this category will be going down. And so as a camera business, we have to decide the priority of the development resources, which category is the most important. We have to study for the future.”

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2020/08/20/panasonic-interview-covid-development-full-frame-micro-four-thirds

If my reading is correct (and I’d love to be wrong), we’ll not see any more midrange zoom compacts from Panasonic. Given market trends, it’s not surprising, but is sad. I use my LX100 II a ton. The vast majority of my photography over the last 2 years has been been with it. As frustrating as it can be at times (the extreme amount of lens flare, the poor image stabilization, etc.), it still produced good enough results that I‘ve largely left my Micro Four Thirds kit on the shelf.

The Mark II also made it clear that Panasonic didn’t want to invest in compacts, since it wasn’t much more than a sensor/processor swap of the original. Without adding features like a tilting or articulating screen, a new lens that extended the range, or competent image stabilization, they really limited the market for it to just die hard s like me.

I’ll still use my LX100 II for the foreseeable future, but I really would have liked to replace it with a well-developed Mark III.

Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow