Modular FUJIFILM X System

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,914
Re: Modular FUJIFILM X System

koushiro wrote:

One unfortunate downside of modular systems is that they’re necessarily bigger than the same parts would be integrated. Just imagine a current camera but now you have to engineer two barriers and a connection between each modular segment. While I think a lot of people (including me) would love to be able to upgrade just part of a camera, I think the added size and weight from those additions would turn a lot of people off. Hard to justify niche products when the camera market is hurting so much already.

While I agree entirely in principle, I think there is a case for limited modularity.

For instance, the EVF can be made interchangeable. Accessory grips are common.

What would be nice is if the interface for those two features were standardised for a camera system, so that third parties could offer alternatives.

Some features of some cameras are only enable with accessory grips, such as high frame rates or 60fps 4K.

So, you could take a basic camera, which works just fine. Or you could turn it into a mean video machine with a grip with multiple audio channels and a monitor out port, etc etc.

I think there is certainly some value in modularity, esp. for higher end cameras. Just not perhaps to the extent described by the OP.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow