Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,965
Re: Weight savings negligible on a D800e

Ricardo00 wrote:

whoosh1 wrote:

I rarely use a tripod when out hiking - it will be even heavier. If I carry a tripod and shooting at f/8, might as well use the lighter 70-300. BTW - how heavy it feels also depends on how you carry it. I either use a Black Rapid side strap screwed to the hole of RRS tripod foot of the lens to carry it or just carry it by the tripod foot in the hand. If you are carrying it by the camera it feels heavier.

Yep also almost never use a tripod for hiking (unless sitting on a nest, etc). And I am also carrying it with a Black Rapid strap that has the Arca rapid release clamp attached to the lens foot (I have the Wimberly foot on my 70-200mm f/4). I am talking about holding it up, trying to shoot with the added weight on my arm while shooting over long periods of time. So the lighter 70-300mm feels great!

Yes - I like the lighter 70-300mm on my Z7. Still I will line up to buy a Z 70-200mm f/4 - or even better if they introduced a high quality Z 70-200mm f/4.5-5.6 lens. Nikon had a super lightweight 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 (https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index2.htm) - which weighed only 330g. If they introduce a similar aperture lens - with higher quality optics (and of course the weight of the AF motor as well as the extra length for Z) - maybe they can get it under 500g.

The 14-30mm f/4 + 24-70mm f/4 + a 70-200mm f/4.5-5.6 would make a great lightweight travel package. Many times during travel - I tend to use the tele photo side a little less and use it apertures like f/8. Also the weight savings could be used to make carrying a lightweight travel tripod or a table top tripod more bearable if I do want to use a tripod.

Will be curious to see how much the Nikon Z 100-400mm will weigh.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow