Sony 135mm 1.8 vs. (vs.?) 70-350

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
dbronson
dbronson Contributing Member • Posts: 697
Re: Sony 135mm 1.8 vs. (vs.?) 70-350

abe4652 wrote:

dbronson wrote:

Just so I understand your post...it is your opinion that an image shot with the 135mm at f1.8, is as good as 350mm at f6.3 meaning, you cropped the 135mm to 350mm and the results are similar?

Can you post your shots? I'm curious, and a bit skeptical...but maybe you're right?

I won't go so far as to say similar, just that it seems there's far less reduction in IQ than one would expect given the great optical zoom difference.

ok, i was a curious.  i would love to see the sony 135 against the 70-350 . but since i dont a sony,  i did some more testing with my canon ef135, which is no slouch, but my testing doesnt disprove your theory of the sony 135.

for those pixelators, here is the canon and sony both with similar settings to verify sharpness of my lenses.  similar results, edge to canon ( imho)

and now a second set, this time trying out OP thesis.  of, faster lens, lower iso, therefore cropping is similar to using the 350.

my tests dont prove or disprove the OP as i think the canon is soft at f2.0 , i just wonder if the sony 135 can be as good as the OP suggests.  in my  tests, canon isn't as good cropped to 350 equivalent.

dbronson's gear list:dbronson's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 600D +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow