Image stabilization while using a tripod

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
EvilPersian
OP EvilPersian New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Image stabilization while using a tripod

sybersitizen wrote:

EvilPersian wrote:

... I’m shooting with a Canon crop sensor, and one of the lenses listed at bottom might be used. I add this detail, as my understanding is that with some older lenses it was suggested that you should turn it off, whereas newer EF and EF-S lenses can detect if there is no movement at all and automatically switch the IS off internally themselves.

You're right, I see Canon's statement to that effect:

'With some of the earlier lenses, you need to switch the IS off when using a tripod. The lack of movement confuses the system and the image starts to jump around the viewfinder. However, using a tripod in high wind or with super telephoto lenses, often results in some camera movement, and the IS system can be invaluable. Later IS models are able to sense the use of a tripod and automatically disable the IS, if necessary.'

Do you trust what you read posted by people here more than you trust Canon's documentation?

Maybe the best thing would be to conduct your own tests to determine the answer.

I saw an article elsewhere that had quoted the link which you provided in your response. I only wish the Canon website had been a bit more clear when they referred to older lenses and newer lenses, perhaps listed specific models, so there would be no guessing where the cutoff is.

EvilPersian's gear list:EvilPersian's gear list
Leica V-Lux 2 Canon EOS 77D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow