Comparison R5-R-RP-5D2. Pixel sharpness is back to 2008

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Comparison R5-R-RP-5D2. Pixel sharpness is back to 2008

Hi pixel peepers,
I developed raw files of the DPR studio scene in DPP for a comparison without any noise reduction. Notable findings:

- The R5's praised pixel sharpness is just what it was on the 5D Mark II (which in turn is almost identical to the even older 350D). The R and RP are a lot softer on the pixel level, and the RP's detail is identical to the 5D2 in spite of the latter having "only" 21 MP.

I confirmed this with test shots with the Sigma 105/2.8 Macro. The 5D2 shows a bit more aliasing, but compared to the RP, pretty much all detail is there.

- The RP's shadows seem to be a bit brighter. If this is equalized, the difference to the R's sensor gets smaller, and even very slight amounts of Chroma NR clean up the color blotches nicely. This is a lot better than with the 5D2.

- Most advancements concerning noise, though, seem to come from baseline NR or other tricks in the raw converter. With truly no NR, output is a lot more similar. I remember the newer cameras are also 1/3 stop darker at the same ISO setting, though I did not see this in my own testing because I used an ETTL flash.

R5 - R - RP - 5D2

R5 - R - RP - 5D2

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS RP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow