Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 17,746
Re: Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

flyinglentris wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

Are there situations where the display ambient lighting requires a planned color treatment for photographic images to ensure that the color look normal in those conditions?

I don't know. Has anyone come across one? I mean, I assume it would be for a print (I know you're specifically talking about prints) that is not anticipated to move from a particular display area.

Actually, as Mark S. Alben pointed out with the link to Fairchild's Rev 2 book, it has been a topic of research since the early 90s (late 80s), applicable in Color Appearance Models (Refer to MSA's posts). The CIE Illuminants, Tristimulus Color Spaces and so forth just don't address the particulars that Color Appearance Models do. And CAMs are being used today in many applications. However, they are mathematical formulas for treating Imaging Systems and Image Processing, and do not address techniques for corrected display lighting as in museums and galleries.

My first exposure to intentional ambient lighting for image display regarded information about per-Renaissance church and cathedral alter artwork that was intentionally lit to display the artist's true definitions of color (by the artist).

Knowledge about this sort of thing goes way back (Refer to Johannes Itten) and there is no reason to expect that photographic images may not be effected in the same way. In fact, they are, as it is human visual traits at play, not imaging system, per se.

Is that a yes that photographic examples are known to exist, and a yes that they're prints that are not anticipated to move from a particular display area?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow