Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
flyinglentris
OP flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,334
Re: Intentional Color Corrections Planned for Display in Ambient Light

sybersitizen wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

Are there situations where the display ambient lighting requires a planned color treatment for photographic images to ensure that the color look normal in those conditions?

I don't know. Has anyone come across one? I mean, I assume it would be for a print (I know you're specifically talking about prints) that is not anticipated to move from a particular display area.

Actually, as Mark S. Alben pointed out with the link to Fairchild's Rev 2 book, it has been a topic of research since the early 90s (late 80s), applicable in Color Appearance Models (Refer to MSA's posts). The CIE Illuminants, Tristimulus Color Spaces and so forth just don't address the particulars that Color Appearance Models do. And CAMs are being used today in many applications. However, they are mathematical formulas for treating Imaging Systems and Image Processing, and do not address techniques for corrected display lighting as in museums and galleries.

My first exposure to intentional ambient lighting for image display regarded information about per-Renaissance church and cathedral alter artwork that was intentionally lit to display the artist's true definitions of color (by the artist).

Knowledge about this sort of thing goes way back (Refer to Johannes Itten) and there is no reason to expect that photographic images may not be effected in the same way.  In fact, they are, as it is human visual traits at play, not imaging system, per se.

On a related note, I've visited lots of museum photo exhibits, and most of the time the lighting seems fine to me even though it's not consistent among them all. However, on my most recent trip to The Getty in Los Angeles, I was appalled at the terrible lighting in an extensive exhibit of photos. It was so dimly lit that nothing could be appreciated. Totally ruined the experience. It was this one:

https://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/unseen/index.html

I am aware that the curators of some museums and galleries fall down on their understanding of lighting.   When you see inconsistent lighting in a museum, it may be due to an effort to accommodate original color rendering for specific pieces/works. And that's good.   A dark room with spot-lighting of works, to me, is probably necessary for multiple small works such as photos.  The problem is that its going to be that the same type of lighting may be used for each individual image and no care is taken to analyze what is needed, if the images are color.  For B&W photos, this may not matter so much.

It is rarely intentional to produce photographs that incorporate metameric and other human visual effects as part of their composition.   But for painterly works, it was quite common in certain post-Renaissance movements (Refer to "Language of Vision" by Gyory Kepes).

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow