Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

I'm not sure what your intended use for the lens is, but my feeling is that the f4 lens isn't very good value for money against the 70-200/2.8. Particularly for events, every stop matters because it means that your ISO isn't being over-strained - it's popular with pros for a reason. The weight and size of the 2.8 is what it is for the purpose. I think the f4's expensive for what it is, the Nikon version at any rate.

If you wanted to try an incredible value lens ($100), the old 70-210/4-5.6 AF-D is a great performer. If I needed to do low-light no-flash events, I'd stump up for the 70-200/2.8 and keep it as a lightweight alternative.

For me personally, the Nikon 70-200 f/4 was one of the most disappointing Nikkors I've ever owned/ Maybe I had a bad copy, but I didn't like it's sharpness and color rendition and I really had to fight the VR system every time I used that lens. The 70-200 f/2.8 is on a completely different level, both IQ-wise as mechanically. However, you do pay a price in $ but even more so in size and weight, and I can imagine that makes it a non-option.

I'd have a serious look at the (mentioned earlier) AF-P 70-300 or even the older AF-S 70-300. I owned the latter one and it produced better images than the 70-200 f/4. For a lightweight 'el-cheapo' lens I second the old 70-210 AF-D push-pull zoom. Very good optical quality, it costs next to nothing and is smaller and lighter than any other option. And honestly, I'd try to step over any fear for third party lenses. The Tamron SP 70-300 is a very good lens, too. It was a little sharper wide open than the AF-S Nikkor 70-300, but had a less effective VC system and the AF tended to hunt a bit more. But again: all in all a much nicer lens to work with than the Nikkor 70-200 f/4.

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 Epson R-D1 +38 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow