Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ricardo00 Contributing Member • Posts: 803
Re: Weight savings negligible on a D800e

whoosh1 wrote:

I am telling this from experience using both f/2.8 (1430g) and the f/4 (~850g) on a D850/D810/D800e (approx 1kg with a battery). Do you really think combined weight camera + lens of 1.85 kg will feel significantly lighter than the combined weight of the f/2.8 combo at 2.43 kg? Of course not.

I am sure you are right that the FL 70-200mm f/2.8E would be superior to the other lenses in this group even though I have never used it. However I am surprised that there hasn't been more pushback on your statement that you feel a difference between 2.43 kg and 1.85 kg is inconsequential. Maybe I am showing my age, but a 1.3 pound difference for me definitely feels significantly lighter (both in my hands and in my camera bag). In fact, I have been following this thread since I was contemplating getting the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E to replace my Nikon 70-200mm f/4 + 1.4TC ( a difference of only 0.8 pounds). Based on your comments and others in this thread on how good the 70-300mm lens is, I did just buy it (just today), and I can say that I definitely feel a difference even with this smaller loss in weight. Maybe this has to do in part how one is photographing? It is not clear if you are using a tripod? In my case, I will be using this new lens on a boat trying to photograph whales where sometimes I have to shoot one handed (while using the other hand to hold on to the rail) or in a kayak. So far I am happy with the speed of focus acquisition and sharpness of the 70-300mm lens and will look forward to trying it out.

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow