Can I use an light meter to get monitor brightness?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
Re: Can I use an light meter to get monitor brightness?

al404 wrote:

I don't have a calibration tool but I would like to print some photo

I did some test with my Canon Selphy and an ICC profile I found online and the result seems pretty accurato but the print shop recommend "The brightness of the monitor should lie between 90 and 120 cd/qm." and on MacBook seems not possible to get this data from system

I was wondering if it would be possible using camera meter, or external light meter to convert the data I read into 90 and 120 cd/qm

Or maybe sono iPhone app

This topic is not unrelated to a question I had.

The monitor is a light source.  The light coming from the monitor is not reflected light.

Incident light meters measure the intensity of light falling on a subject or location that has been emitted by a light source (the sun, studio lights, etc.)  On the other hand, the camera meter is designed to measure reflected light (measuring how much of the light a surface receives from a light source is reflected rather than absorbed).  Even if the light source is identical, a black surface will absorb more and reflect less while a white surface will absorb less and reflect more.  So the camera measurements of such reflective surfaces would be different even if the light source remains constant.

My question is whether a camera's reflective meter could be adapted to work as an incident meter.  Perhaps it would involve some lens covering that works like the Expodisc to measure white balance.  But while Googling everything I can think of, I have found no reference to turning a camera's reflective meter into an incident meter.

Because the monitor is a light source requiring an incident meter to measure the intensity of light that is being received at your viewing position, I am guessing that your idea is problematic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow