Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rico Schiekel
Rico Schiekel Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Robert 23 wrote:

I have never used any 70-200 2,8 lens just because of their weight.
Having a look at the new Nikon 70-200 2,8 S for the mirrorless line, i realized that even this lens is almost 1,5 kilo. That means we will never probably see a lightweight 70-200 2,8 lens in the future.
So actually the only option for me is the Nikon 70-200 f/4.(i am not interested in any third party lenses)
My question is:
judging just from its optical quality, would you consider the Nikon 70-200 f/4 a professional lens?
Does its quality match the optical quality of the other 70-200 2,8 Nikon lenses?

I own both, the 70-200 f/4 and the 70-200 f/2.8 FL. Both are great performers producing high quality and very professional results in the right hands. Both are very neat for portraiture work, nature stuff and landscapes.

Of course the IQ of the f/2.8 FL is better (it's one if not the best 70-200 f/2.8 on this planet), but it's also more expensive, bigger and heavier.

The f/4 fits very good to the Z system because of the size and weight saving. Even though I almost always carry the FL with me.

If the f/4 aperture is good enough for your shooting style / your requirements / the amount of money you can/want to spend, then go for it. It's a very very good lens.

I personally do not like variable aperture zooms, but I think the newest models of the 70-300 are also very nice and even cheaper. Could be an option to look into.

HTH,
Rico

Rico Schiekel's gear list:Rico Schiekel's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow