Focus Shift Shooting - can we end the guesswork?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,497
Re: Focus Shift Shooting - can we end the guesswork?

jimhughes wrote:

Focus Shift Shooting works great, especially with silent shutter. But the settings are guesswork. There's no obvious way to figure out the required number of steps, or the optimum interval, to cover what you want covered.

Even Nikon's online documentation of FSS just advises you to experiment. C'mon guys.

I know Jim Kasson has a page about this, but it was too technical for me; I couldn't cook it down to some easily understandable guidelines.

I'd like to use FSS for macros in the field, even hand-held. So I don't want more shots than necessary, but I also don't want to get home and find out I didn't get enough.

I just Googled this but only found bloggers and 'tutorial' sites repeating the same thing: just try it and see what works.

Does anyone know more about these settings?

We could, but the user engineering for cameras, especially focus backeting, is basically pathetic.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow