Laptop editing + external monitor

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Qimmiq Regular Member • Posts: 138
Laptop editing + external monitor

Does anyone edit solely on their laptop?  Do you use an external monitor?

For years I've used a desktop but due to a separation I now only have a laptop. I'll be moving to a new place soon and am trying to decide if it'd be best to just use the laptop or get a desktop PC when I get settled again.

If I decide to just use my laptop then I'd like to get an external monitor for the bigger and better display. Most likely I'd go with a 24 or 27" Dell Ultrasharp.

The specs on my laptop are:

Toshiba Satellite L870 - i3-2328m CPU @ 2.20 GHZ, 2200 Mhz, 2 core. Intel HD Graphics 3000, SSD 250GB and 16 GB RAM.  I also have an external HD.

I have used the laptop a couple times in the last few months for editing (CS3 and LR6) and it seems plenty fast and the only issue I had was the screen. I don't find it overly sharp and any slight change in my seating position totally changes the image.

One of the benefits I do see with the laptop is that if I wanted to go out to a cafe and edit I could just grab it and go (minus the big monitor!!!!) and I think it'd be easier vs having 2 separate computers.

If I went with a desktop I would be going with a Dell XPS and the Ultrasharp monitor.

Qimmiq's gear list:Qimmiq's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow