Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 2,760
Re: Nikon 70-200 f/4 for profesional results?

Robert 23 wrote:

I have never used any 70-200 2,8 lens just because of their weight.
Having a look at the new Nikon 70-200 2,8 S for the mirrorless line, i realized that even this lens is almost 1,5 kilo. That means we will never probably see a lightweight 70-200 2,8 lens in the future.
So actually the only option for me is the Nikon 70-200 f/4.(i am not interested in any third party lenses)
My question is:
judging just from its optical quality, would you consider the Nikon 70-200 f/4 a professional lens?

Yes

Does its quality match the optical quality of the other 70-200 2,8 Nikon lenses?

Yes

Except that you will never achieve f2.8, so certain bokeh effects will not be available to you, and neither will the super clean files achieved by (other) professionals under natural light.

I don't consider the extra 500g of an f2.8 a big deal and think it's well worth it.

What surprises me is that some people think the image quality of the 70-200 f4 is beginning to look dated... maybe this is a Canon bias, they think that because their version has "II" on it, it's that much better?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow