Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP sanosai Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

mujana wrote:

I’m sorry to push this old thread up again, but I ‘m curious. What lens did you choose?
I’m in the same situation as you, and trying to choose between Voigtlander 110mm macro and Sony 90mm macro.

thank you

I went for the 90mm Sony (and have no regrets). I m not saying that I m consistently getting excellent results (this has to do with my lack of skills needed to fully exploit my gear!)

I just think that I couldn't live without OSS (as my a6300 doesn't have in body stabi), plus for the near to 1:1 distances, it is reported to still be the sharpest out there. Occasionally, when I manage to get everything right, I m really happy with results. Hopefully, as I up my skills, I ll get more consistent results!

I m not particularly impressed with AF speed of the 90mm. I am saying that in comparison to the 100-400GM which I ve rented for 3 days (it was blazzingly fast to focus, even on my a6300). But this is probably an unfair comparison because a) 90mm is not a GM, b) I don't have an a9 to draw safe conclusions about its speed c) it is said that pure macro lenses aren't the fastest in terms of AF performance. Also, as I get close to 1:1 range, its really struggling to focus at all (so I have to switch to MF). Luckily, I don't use AF too often, so I m not really impacted by this.

IMHO, the 90mm Sony still remains the class leading option for hardcore macro on Sony FE. I still have lots of respect for the 110mm V. (judging by the reviews), if I was to go fully manual, I d be tempted by the Laowa option (e.g. 2.5- 5x) to get that extra magnification

sanosai's gear list:sanosai's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow