Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,316
Re: Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

thank you macrouser!

macrouser wrote:

I did my first macro shots in 1969 with a 58 mm Minolta lens and extension tubes. It is exciting but hard to do.

The features that I find are the most important are:

1. focus length/working distance

same here...important! I once used a 50mm zuiko lens on my Olympus and I found it too much of an exercise to get good images...working distance way too short. Don’t want that anymore. Voigtlander seems to have a little longer working distance than the Sony 90.

2. resolution

very important indeed. In a graphic I saw, the Voigtlander on an A7RIV was there with only the very best GM lenses.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/here-are-the-best-lenses-for-your-a7riv/amp/

3. focus features such as a. internal focus. if you have a lens that extends, never try to use any lighting that attaches to the extending part. It will destroy the lens.

Good that you say this. I didn’t realize that. At the same time, I would like to shoot with natural light as much as possible. Except for slide copying, where I plan to use a light plate anyway.

b. you need a focus ring that give very good control of manual focus.

I think that the Voigtlander has a very nice soft dampened focus (from comments I read).......and a very long focus throw (maybe too long?). Some say the focus throw of the Sony is a bit too short .

c. Auto focus can be a big help in the wind ( there is always wind outdoors ). I set my auto focus control to AF only. That way I can hold the focus button/shutter button down until the camera gets a focus lock. The camera will not take a picture till it is focused.

Good idea!

That works best with a subject that is not too close. At very close distances, auto focus hardly ever focuses on the point that I want.

So then it’s MF anyway. I wonder if focus tracking would work in 1:1 (on my A7RIV).

I just got a Sony A7Rm3. adapted lenses never give all the features that the camera has.

Correct, but I certainly would like some communication between lens and camera (unlike the attractive Laowa macro). I think I could work with the Voigtlander (does communicate (f/stop/focus peaking), but obviously no AF. In this regard the Sony is better (but...how much will I use AF in macro?).

I have received my FE 50 mm macro lens. I am waiting on shipment of my FE 90 mm macro lens. My nephew has had his for over 6 years and loves it. I am now waiting for my FE 70-300 mm Zoom to arrive. I picked that one because it is a native lens that will focus down to 90 cm.

in general, I prefer native lenses as well. For macro, I can’t seem to make a decision.

If I need extreme macro pictures, I can use my A mount Sigma 150 mm macro by itself or I can add my 1.4 X tele converter or the 2X converter. On top of that I have a set of extension tubes that I can add.

I was thinking more of a Marumi achromat filter.

Have a look at my gallery .

I’ll look later. Cannot access your gallery from my iPhone.

thnx again!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow