Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,316
Re: Consider Laowa as well

thank you!

burning1rr wrote:

I've used the Sony 90 macro and the Voigtlander 100mm 2X macro.

here you mean the Laowa, right?

I recommend you checkout Laowa's offerings. The lack of CPU contacts is frustrating, but the image quality is excellent and the extra macro range is nice to have.

certainly the price is good. That frustrating part I don’t like. Cannot use any MF assist from my A7RIV and also no aperture visible. Indeed frustrating. Don’t know if I want that. IQ seems very good and I really like that extra macro range as an option!

The main benefit of the 90 macro is that it doubles as a portrait lens, and it's fast enough to track erratic wildlife at lower reproduction ratios (0.25-5x?)

I probably do not use it for portraits (have my Batis 85 for that). Tracking erratic wildlife (insects), is great. How does it deal with small movements in 1:1?

But between the options, I prefer the Laowa.

Because of lack of CPU contacts/communication I already skipped the Laowa. But maybe I shouldn’t.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow