Talk me out of an OM-D EM-1 Mark II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kenaikat Regular Member • Posts: 104
Talk me out of an OM-D EM-1 Mark II

Many have seen the great US deals on the Olympus OM-D EM-1 MK IIs and most agree that at $899 it’s a heck of a deal on a great camera.  I am sorely tempted by this deal, but it would be an impulse purchase right now based on this flash sale price point.

For background, when I finally decided to try the Micro 4/3s format for the first time two years ago, I lusted after the EM-1 Mark II but could definitely not afford the high price.  I was going to get the EM-10 Mark II, but instead bought my first used camera, going with an original EM-1 Mark 1.  That camera was already old at the time, but the price was right and it still turned out to be a quantum upgrade from my ancient Canon APS-C DSLR.

This was used very successfully for my travel photography, and I was impressed with the results when I did my part.  The camera was the right size and shape for me, and so after getting tired of changing lenses on the go, I got another EM-1 Mark I body.  Now I was able to keep two full setups in my large bag, or one body and two extra lenses in my small bag.  This has proven to be a nearly ideal setup for me and really a dream come true.

So I know the Mark II is superior in basically every way, and would be perfect for me if it had handheld Hi-Res, but the price jump to get that in the latest Mark III is a BIG one and out of the question at this time.

The biggest downside apart from spending the extra $900 is that getting a Mark II would somewhat complicate my travel setup, with different batteries, chargers, and I’m not sure what else.  So should I just stick with what I have, or would I be crazy to miss the chance to upgrade one body?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow