Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
macrouser
macrouser Contributing Member • Posts: 901
Re: Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

I did my first macro shots in 1969 with a 58 mm Minolta lens and extension tubes.  It is exciting but hard to do.

The features that I find are the most important are:

1.  focus length/working distance

2.  resolution

3.  focus features such as a.  internal focus.  if you have a lens that extends, never try to use any lighting that attaches to the extending part.  It will destroy the lens.  b.  you need a focus ring that give very good control of manual focus.  c.  Auto focus can be a big help in the wind ( there is always wind outdoors ).  I set my auto focus control to AF only.  That way I can hold the focus button/shutter button down until the camera gets a focus lock.  The camera will not take a picture till it is focused.  That works best with a subject that is not too close.  At very close distances, auto focus hardly ever focuses on the point that I want.

I just got a Sony A7Rm3.  adapted lenses never give all the features that the camera has.  I have received my FE 50 mm macro lens.  I am waiting on shipment of my FE 90 mm macro lens.  My nephew has had his for over 6 years and loves it.  I am now waiting for my FE 70-300 mm Zoom to arrive.  I picked that one because it is a native lens that will focus down to 90 cm.

If I need extreme macro pictures, I can use my A mount Sigma 150 mm macro by itself or I can add my 1.4 X tele converter or the 2X converter.  On top of that I have a set of extension tubes that I can add.

Have a look at my gallery .

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow