Canon R5 vs Sony A7SIII vs 1dx Mark III - The Ultimate Video Shootout

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Pete_vB Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Canon R5 vs Sony A7SIII vs 1dx Mark III - The Ultimate Video Shootout

jonpais wrote:

Two-thirds of their Full Time Filmmaker students couldn't tell which was which in a blind test.

Good review and I think they do their best to be unbiased. I’m wondering about their conclusion re lens selection however, starting at 16:42 in the video.

“Canon has a wider lens selection, and having used Sony G-Master vs Canon RF and EF L-series we all like the Canon lenses better.” They go on to say that they have a big investment in canon glass towards the end.

I know I’m asking a biased audience but is that a widely held view? Is it specific to film-making? Put another way, specifically in the RF line in which focal lengths is the Canon considered superior?

A fast Sony prime lineup might be 24 1.4 GM, 35 Sigma 1.2, 50 1.4 Zeiss, 85 Sigma 1.4 DN, 135 1.8 GM, 400/ 600. In comparison I might put canon ahead at 50mm and possibly 85mm with their 1.2s, but I’d have thought Sony would be considered equal or likely ahead everywhere else? Or at least I wasn’t aware that adapted RF glass was equal to the E mount offerings at 24, 35 or 135mm.

With zooms I see a stronger argument with the 28-70 f2 and new 70-200 (both better than I believe Sony offers) but Sony counters with a wide selection, from high quality 100-400 and 200-600 offerings to the compact Tamron 70-180, sharp Sigma 24-70 2.8, etc. Sure Canon can adapt similar glass, but...

Bottom line do you guys agree Canon has a wider and better lens selection? For film making in particular perhaps? Or do you think that view’s perhaps dated?

Pete_vB's gear list:Pete_vB's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow