Impressions of my new A7III and questions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
newbuteager Junior Member • Posts: 34
Impressions of my new A7III and questions

Hello All!

After finally receive my a7iii and tamron 28-75, I was able to get out of the house and go try my new setup.  I didn't have any expectations as i just wanted to get out and get accustomed to the controls and handling of the camera.  After a couple of outings, i'm more than satisfied of the results and how the camera and lens are working.  It is much easier than I expected after years of shooting with an old canon.  I still have much to learn but I can see i'm going to have a lot of fun with this gear!  Contrary to many comments I read, I don't see the menus has being too complicated.  Yes there is a whole lot and not always easy to find something specific but i would expect 95% of my needs are covered by the custom buttons and Fn key...i use the default one for now only having replace the 2 flash related spot in my Fn menu by eye af and human/animal (i don't have a flash at the moment).  The only thing that will need time and practice is getting use to  the manual control dials when adjusting the exposure\speed.  I found that the speed dial need to be adjusted in opposition to the way i did it on my canon...I realize this easily after a second but still...it is going to take me a while to get it right

Going from an Aps-C from 10 years ago with a superzoom to a recent full frame camera with a 2.8 lense, I expected a bump in iq and also being able to recover shadows or highlights better but I must say i didnt expect that much!  I could see details i wouldnt have been able to with my old system and recover ''badly'' exposed photos much easier.

I like the joystick which i didnt have and also the placement of the histogram which i found more convenient than in my canon.  I also was afraid of the smaller body and the smaller grip was making me nervous but after a few outings, i don't think of it anymore...

Now about the questions:

- EVF:  this is my first evf.  I like the concept of seeing the change as it happens but i'm not sure about the iq i see in the evf...Compare to the ovf, i find the image not as sharp as it should be (photos are sharp though)  This might just be me getting use to it but it seem more pronounced when encountering texts or in bright sunlight...I also found the EVF to be overly bright and it often look overexposed (although histogram confirm the value)...Is it just the way EVF are or is there a way to adjust this?

- Back monitor:  When I walk around without taking picture, i notice the back monitor always on which drains the battery quicker.  I change the settings to go in power mode after 1 minute and i didnt really see it turn off...I put it at 10 seconds and seem to work.  Is there another power saving mode or other way to do it?  Would turn on and off the camera be ok?

Eye AF:  I use eye af with great results for my first trial.  However, is there a way to select which eye or which person to focus on if there are 2?  Couldnt see how...Also, I notice on Mark Galer video on the subject that in is settings he have one to select right or left eye which i don't see in mine...Is it a firmware thing or is it a feature only available on the a7RIII or iv?

newbuteager's gear list:newbuteager's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow