TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RetCapt Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: TG-6 Best settings for landscape photos without RAW processing

FWIW, I'll give you the settings I use on my TG-4.    I think the TG-4 and TG-6 are similar enough to carry over.

I use PROGRAM mode because it allows more manual selection, including +/-, which I find extremely useful.

The rest of the settings;  picture mode = vivid, wb=auto, compression = fine, AF area = center, meter pattern = center weighted, image stabilizer = on.

I have attached a snapshot, taken my first weekend out with it, so I was just testing.   You can see the specific data on the EXIF file.    Note that using PROGRAM, ISO was 100, f/# was 4.5, and shutter speed was 1/500.   These are the settings I would have chosen if I had total manual control over the camera, so to me that validates the selection of PROGRAM.

Although not necessary in this case, I often bracket using the +/- adjustment.    Using the - control I find I often can retain more highlight detail and increase saturation.

Full disclosure dept:   To me, no photograph, even a snapshot that will not result in a large print, is complete until I edit via Photoshop Elements.    So what is attached here is the product of the camera and PSE.

Besides this TG-4, I have a much earlier iteration, the 1030SW.   I still use this 1030SW.  I had gotten the TG-4 for the f2 lens, but when I don't have use for that speed the 1030SW works just fine.    What I can assure you from my experience with the 1030SW and the TG-4 is that these cameras are capable of outstanding results.    I have a 13X19" print (the limit of my printer) night shot taken with the TG-4 that is amazing.    These cameras  punch well above their weight.

So, keep on testing and learning.    Your TG-6 has what it takes to do an outstanding job for you.

Good luck.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow