Owner of canon glass who can't afford an R/R5/R6, how about a7ii?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,775
Re: Owner of canon glass who can't afford an R/R5/R6, how about a7ii?

andrewperk wrote:

Hello,

I've been using a Canon 7d with my canon glass for a while now, haven't really looked into the newer cameras until recently. I've been looking to buy a used Canon full frame camera such as a 5d mk ii or 6d. But it appears mirrorless is the way everything is moving.

Now I cannot afford the new Canon mirrorless, such as the eos R, R5, or R6. I have a budget of around 700 bucks and I can get a couple of deals on a used A7II with sigma MC-11 adapter to use my canon glass on it.

I only have 3 lenses a 17-40L, 300mm F4 L, and a 50 1.4, all Canon glass.

What is your opinion on going this route? I don't mind switching systems in order to have a more modern set of tech in my camera, however I would like to keep using my current glass until I can slowly get newer glass over time.

Or should I just stick with finding a used Canon full frame camera?

Thanks.

Don't see too many folks who only own high quality full frame glass but are shooting on an APS-C camera.

That's a very small budget for a mirrorless transition, and a lot of the full frame bodies that fit your budget are also 1st gen and 2nd gen bodies that don't have some of the mirrorless tech that you're hoping for.

Whatever you decide, I'd probably buy all used stuff.

There really isn't a full frame mirrorless mount whose high quality lenses are particularly affordable. With that kind of budget, I would also consider looking at m4/3. As a crop mount, everything in m4/3 is more affordable. It's been around a long time and so you'd be able to find used lenses. If you were to sell your L glass, there might be used versions of m4/3 glass that you'd find acceptable. Might not be able to replace a 300mm L prime perfectly but you could get a decent used zoom until you can afford to upgrade to a pro zoom or prime. Going to native glass more quickly would give you a better feel for the mirrorless tech you're interested in.

If you're going to move to Sony, given your budget, I would consider transitioning to Sony APS-C as part of a slow transition. You could replace the 50 1.4 with a used 50 1.8 OSS APS-C lens right off the bat. You'd have to decide if Canon glass on an adapter is usable enough for you.

Third party glass manufacturers are making lenses for Sony, so it seems to have a brighter future as a more affordable mount compared to Canikon mirrorless. There isn't a whole lot of Sigma DN glass for Sony yet though, it's still very early.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow