Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826
Re: Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Jazz1 wrote:

I checked out the Tokina site with their lens demonstration pictures. Even with lower expectations based on the type of lens, I can't say I thought the pictures were great. Lots of pictures of flowers.

I'm not sure why I'd need a relatively huge telephoto reach for flowers:-P I suppose they do show examples for depth of field, bokeh, and definition. The very shallow depth of field might be a problem for me using manual focus.

Thank you all for the good advice, and reminders about the limitations for this type of lens, as well as alternatives. I don't want this GAS to give me actual "gas"

Indeed very odd that most sample pictures Tokina provides on its website are flower shots. Not really what most people would get a 400mm. lens for. But what these pictures also clearly show is the strong donut effect in the bokeh. In some of the shots that completely draws away attention from the main subject. It is common with mirror lenses, but it does seem véry present with the Tokina.

Sharpness and color look quite good in the flower shots, but the more obvious 400mm. shots (animals, people) look less impressive. As mirror lenses go, this doesn't appear to be too bad a specimen, but I'd hesitate to spend $ 250 on one...

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 Epson R-D1 +36 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow