A Black Tern in West Texas

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 832
A Black Tern in West Texas

This morning I was starting a center pivot irrigation system when I noticed a bird flying across the water that I had not seen before. I pulled up to and irrigation well and kept watching the bird as he flew low to the water and kept dipping his beak every now and then.

Let me explain the place. This is and old caliche pit that was dug over 60 or 70 years ago to build Farm to Market Road 40 east of Acuff and South of Lorenzo. This old pit is about 40 or 50 feet deep and catches a lot of water after a big rain. In May and June we had some rains that filled this pit about halfway full.

After I saw that the bird was one that I didn't recognize, I got the camera out and started taking pictures. The bird would fly across the water and then fly up and go to where he first started and make another run across the water.

This is a Black Tern that is usually seen around lakes and reservoirs and the ocean. From the little bit of research I did, it is very uncommon to see them around ponds or playa lakes and the Texas Plains sits below their migration routes.

All of the images were taken with a Nikon D500 with the Nikon 500pf lens and handheld.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +12 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow