1200mm: Digital Teleconverter

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,038
Re: 1200mm: Digital Teleconverter

tkbslc wrote:

Looks pretty good with enough light. It's basically turning your 20MP 2x crop sensor into a 5MP 4x crop sensor. So you should still be at least as good as any crazy superzoom compact ( like a Canon SX60 that goes to 1365mm equiv at 5.6x crop.)

The superzoom compact may have a lens designed to deliver a higher resolution in order to match the sensor much smaller pixels, and thus I am not sure cropping, whether in-camera at capture time or in PP, from a larger sensor can be as sharp.

Nice trick to have in the bag for when you need it.

I found the DTC to be a bit better than cropping and resizing in post. They have a good algorithm for doing so at time of capture. Plus it's easier to frame and focus.

As Henri stated in a previous post, I think that the in-camera ETC uses different demosaicing algorythms for upsizing JPEGs than most PP general purpose suites, aka Lightroom or Capture1.

LR, for instance, seems to use always the same Bayer oriented demosaicing logic, whatever the imput file. Hence the subpar performance when processing Fuji X-trans files.

But some specialized upsizing softwares may also have refined the way they process raw datas for upscaled JPEGs.

From what I have read in DPreview threads about Google Pixel, advanced software may deliver impressive sharpness and resolution in digitally zoomed phone cameras.

IMO, ETC is a convenient tool for easier aiming and focusing when you dont have enough optical reach, and, later, save time in PP.

It is a convenience for still shooters and it really shines when shooting videos, as 4K for instance is somewhere around 8MP/10MP (depending the native sensor capture ratio).

But there is no free lunch and if you do a lot of telephoto, it wont replace a longer lens.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow