Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
vegetaleb
OP vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: Side-by-Side wide-open Comparison

beatboxa wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Just out of curiosity, anyone has or had both Fuji XF 23mm f1.4 and Nikon Z 35mm f1.8?

If yes is the bokeh better on the fuji? I mean is it creamier or both can be busy with some background?

I have both of these lenses. The Nikon is better, no question.

From a technical sense, the Nikon has a larger aperture (19mm vs. 16mm) and the same angle of view--so the Nikon already starts with a thinner DoF and less busy background. Don't let the F-number fool you--it's about the absolute aperture = "equivalent f-number" (which would make the Fuji equivalent to a Nikon 35mm F/2.1).

I don't define bokeh as being just about out-of-focus areas--it's the difference between what's in focus and what's out of focus. So sharper lenses tend to have better bokeh. And the Nikon is clearly sharper wide open.

The Nikon is clearly better. If you want, I can post some comparisons later.

Thank you

Yes it would be nice

Here you go. BTW, I didn't have much time, so this is quick & dirty. These are both wide open (F/1.4 on the Fuji and F/1.8 on the Nikon). I did some quick brightness adjustments on the Nikon to come close to matching the Fuji. I took these from the same spot (roughly 1-2 meters from the tree in the foreground), though afterwards, I noticed there is a slight angle difference. Shouldn't make a huge difference though.

Fuji

Nikon

Obligatory side-by-side zooms:

(Center of frame). Fuji = left; Nikon = right

(Top left corner of frame). Fuji = left; Nikon = right

And even more zoomed in, individually:

Fuji

Nikon

Fuji

Nikon

Fuji lovers (and I was one, perhaps again later), base their claims that their lenses are the best on old reviews dating from 4 to 7 years ago, I agree that at that period these lenses were excellent, but photography like any other technology evolve and now Z lenses are just better and resolve more details (unless it's the FF sensor), the newest Fuji lenses are better than the old ones in terms of sharpness, take the 23 f2 for example,  I found it much sharper at f5.6/f7  than the 16 f1.4 and I had both, but it lacks bokeh and DOF because it's soft wide open on near objects + the minimum focus distance is 35cm. When I said Fuji needs to release new quality wide angle lenses in Fuji forum I was attacked like a vermin and traitor, because they still base their claims on old reviews

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow