Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,071
Re: Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Jazz1 wrote:

https://photo-trend.de/en/tokina-400-mm-f-8-reflex-mf-telefoto-lens-en/

Maybe it is just Pandemic boredom, but I was hoping for $249.00 this lens might be fun to play around with. On the other hand that is a lot of craft beer cost equivalent

Then I think to way back when I had a Pentax K1000, and ME and I found myself attracted to the idea of a cheaper/longer telephoto lens over standard glass. After reading about all the drawbacks of this design I never purchased one for my Pentax film cameras.

I suppose I should just wait and read some reviews to see how well this design in 2020 on a Fujifilm camera.

I think your instincts from the Pentax days are the right idea. I had a cheap mirror lens way back when, as well. Probably a 500mm if I recall correctly. You need to be very careful with it because it is, essentially, a mirror telescope subject to alignment issues with little more than a soft knock.

Even aligned correctly, it will have that doughnut bokeh (not a problem for viewing the heavens) due to mirror in the middle.

There are some cheap, used slow 100-400 Canon mount manual focus lenses out there with f/6.3 or f/6.7 that will be optically better (at least in the bokeh category)... and bring in more light. Even with an adapter purchase (EF-FX) they'll cost you less and take more abuse.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow