Lens size guide

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Currantos Senior Member • Posts: 1,163
Lens size guide

I remember someone mentioning a fairly simple formula to get a general idea of what the front glass would be for a certain focal length and aperture.

This is in reference to how small a lens can be, since the formula would be the "smallest possible" and manufacturers can go larger but not smaller.

I've been looking at 85mm lenses as an example, 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 and there is a fairly wide range of front glass sizes (and corresponding dimensions and also weight). Which is surprising, one would think as technology improves smaller glass would be favored but that is not always the case.

The Canon EF/RF lineup is particular illuminating as one would think there would be a fairly tight spread and yet the glass is all over the place, if one considers old and recent lenses, plus Canon versus third parties.

I wish manufacturer's would put more premium on compactness, perhaps the next round of lenses coming out in the 2030's decade will be a "throw back" to the smaller lenses of the past while retaining reasonable, not stellar, sharpness and corrected in camera profiles to compensate for glass compromises.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow