Sony FE 24mm 1.4 GM continually focusIng, back focusing, jumping

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
billorg Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
Sony FE 24mm 1.4 GM continually focusIng, back focusing, jumping

I have a lifetime of experience with cameras and lenses of all kinds, so I am pretty sure when something isn’t behaving correctly.  However, I just wanted to run this past you.  Brand new lens, first time using today on a NEX 5n which is my smallest travel setup. That means an APS-C sensor with a full frame lens.  I use A mount lenses from Sony and vintage Minolta w/adapter as well as manual Zeiss rangefinder lenses if I want to go really small.  Anyway, since this 24mm is an F Mount lens, I don’t have to use the adapter.

The lens is hunting for focus far and wide, nothing like my other AF lenses on this body.  Some of the pictures are backfocused badly which I haven’t seen my cameras do in years, including my full sized full frame dslr’s from Sony, Canon and Nikon.  It is also jittering in and out a short distance (not trying to focus, just jittering when your finger is down on the shutter after it’s in focus).  Lastly, it’s acting as if it’s in continual focusing mode,  but the camera is set to single shot.  The few pics it got right are razor sharp, but I think there’s something wrong with the lens.  Has anyone ever experienced problems like this with a defective lens?  Thanks, Bill

billorg's gear list:billorg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a99 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Nikon D500 +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow