Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Is the Tokina 400m f/8 Worth $249.00?

Jazz1 wrote:

https://photo-trend.de/en/tokina-400-mm-f-8-reflex-mf-telefoto-lens-en/

Maybe it is just Pandemic boredom, but I was hoping for $249.00 this lens might be fun to play around with. On the other hand that is a lot of craft beer cost equivalent

Then I think to way back when I had a Pentax K1000, and ME and I found myself attracted to the idea of a cheaper/longer telephoto lens over standard glass. After reading about all the drawbacks of this design I never purchased one for my Pentax film cameras.

I suppose I should just wait and read some reviews to see how well this design in 2020 on a Fujifilm camera.

Waiting for reviews would be a good idea. I have a couple of Minolta mirror lenses from the 1970s and they are excellent within that genre of mirror lenses. Other excellent manufacturers of mirror lenses were Nikon and Canon. It's possible that the older vintage mirror lenses might be better than this one from Tokina but I don't think any mirror lens is necessarily as good as a regular telephoto. That said, mirror lenses do have their place and they can be very interesting and useful to use.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow