Elinchrom Snaplux System - quality issues with the adaptors?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bowrilla Regular Member • Posts: 251
Elinchrom Snaplux System - quality issues with the adaptors?

Hey everyone. So, I have rented studio lighting in the past (mostly Profoto or Broncolor) but couldn't be bothered to actually buy myself some bigger lights beyond speedlights. With speedlights, you usually have some weird bracket mounts with cold shoes and rails and what not (at least with some of the more budget friendly stuff). At least, that was the case a couple of years ago before Godox was on its way to make flash photography more budget friendly to buy into.

So, I got myself 2x Godox AD200, 2x Godox TT685, 2x Godox S2 Bowens brackets and the Godox AD-B2 Bowens bracket (dual AD200 bare bulb)  the Elinchrom Snaplux Portrait Kit (Deep Octabox + Stripbox) and the big, deep Elinchrom reflective Umbrella - and some portable Manfrotto 1051BAC Mini light stands (love the portability).

The S2 brackets overall are pretty nice for the money but the mount is still plastic and has a lot of play with the Elinchrom Bowens adaptors, but with rebending the small springs, it gets better. The AD-B2 however (no matter how useful the bracket iself is) is terribly made - it's all plastic, the latching tilt mechanism is godawful and bound to break over time (S2 is much better). And the bajonett ring has even more play in it. But okay, at least it was budgetfriendly and it's useful.

So far, I like the softboxes and the umbrella: good quality fabrics, solidly made though the Snaplux system comes with a cast aluminium (?) bracket inside that's pretty cheaply made. Unfortunately the necessary adaptor rings are even worse. They seem to be made as cheap as technically possible with terrible molding (and molding marks) and... they seem to be actually a bit smaller then they should be for a sort of tight fit. You can move the modifiers up and down by more than .5 cm (up and down, not rotating left and right). That part should be at most 2-5 bucks, but it costs 25 bucks.

Did I get a bad batch? Anyone else having the same experience/impressions? Am I too strict with it?

bowrilla's gear list:bowrilla's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +6 more
Nikon 1 S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow