R5 WIFI: The Reality vs The Dream

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
shutterthug Regular Member • Posts: 115
R5 WIFI: The Reality vs The Dream

Well, I was one of those naïve folks who thought 5Ghz wifi would be able to sling RAW files from my new R5 to my studio laptop without relying on SD card imports for client photo review—NOT.

After successfully connecting the R5 with my Macbook Pro running OSX Catalina using the FTP Server app (works perfectly), I was sad to discover that at a paltry 25Mbps give or take, the transfer rate is still not up to the challenge of speeding RAW files to a Lightroom-monitored folder—yes, even the cRAW variety, which I am nonetheless intrigued by.

For my workflow, messing with JPEG previews offers little in the way of upside, so I guess I'm stuck with shuttling via memory cards until something truly breakthrough happens. Maybe this post saves at least one person the time and expense of sorting out the wifi capability if they're expecting anything magical. Not sure why I expected wizardry, but I did.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow