Nikkor-z-70-200 f2.8 review on Italian website: terrific lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
as1mov
OP as1mov Contributing Member • Posts: 747
Re: Alert, possibly significant

Currantos wrote:

I imagine Nikon can make a 70-200mm, seeing that they had the best ever previously.

BUT

I find a lot of the images slightly out of focus, yes, sharp, but sometimes it is the chin, sometimes it is the hair. I am not seeing "biting" sharpness on the eyes. Seems quite a few images are slightly front focused. Probably possible to adjust with focus microtune in camera.

In some images I frankly get the 58mm f1.4 effects, things are "sharp" but also veiled and softened somehow. This doesn't have the 'modern' feel that one often gets from very sharp lenses.

Then I realized you have to click on the image and bring it up. THEN it looks sharp.

Just a warning to others in case you are seeing the same thing. Must be the site compressing or doing something.

I got completely the wrong impression, thought the lens/focusing was soft but it looks good.

Just alerting others in case.

In the video I can hear the photographer asking the other guy how to control the focus point and how to set it so that it "does not move".

So it looks like the photographer is new to the system and does not quite master the focusing area method he is using, that could be the reason of the slight out of focus in the picture you were mentioning.

as1mov's gear list:as1mov's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow