Samyang 24mm T/S with d800e

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 4,962
Re: Samyang 24mm T/S with d800e

WIMorrison wrote:

This lens is clearly a 100% manual lens without any form of CPU and I am wondering if there is a way to make the aperture setting on the camera change when I rotate the sub-menu control wheel (the one on the front)?

The Lens has a max aperture of f3.5 but I normally use it at f5.6-f8 as this is the sharpest range but for metering I need to change the non-CPU lens data each time to get the camera metering aperture to change from f3.5 to whatever f-stop I am using.

Is there a way to make the f-stop change in the camera display and thus be used in the metering?

Hopefully it can be and that I am not missing something that is blindingly obvious

The simple answer is "no" - it's not possible to change aperture using the camera dial when using a fully-manual lens.

However... when you turn the lens aperture ring, the camera's meter does take account of the changing f/stop and adjusts exposure accordingly (in A exposure mode).  It just doesn't display the actual f/stop or record it in EXIF.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow